Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review : Remarkable features make it a popular favorite electric toothbrush.
What’s In This Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review?
- Sonicare 6500 : Our Rating
- Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 – Pros & Cons
- 3 Quick Questions To Decide
- Sonicare 6500 vs Sonicare 6100
- What’s In The Box?
- Sonicare 6500 Review : Key Features
- Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review : Ease of Use
- Design & Appearance
- Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review : Performance
- Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review : Effectiveness
- Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review : Battery Life
- Where To Buy It?
- Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Our Verdict
- Sonicare 6500 review : Frequently Asked Questions
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Our Rating
Overall: 4.7 / 5
- Design: 4.7
- Ease of Use: 4.9
- Features: 4.5
- Battery: 4.7
- Price: 4.6
(Also see this Philips Sonicare ExpertClean 7500 review)
What’s Good About This Model?
Here’s a mini Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review
- choice of 3 brushing modes and intensities
- BrushSync enabled for promptly changing brush heads
- pressure sensor and 2-minute timer with quad-pacer
- excellent battery life, lasts 2 weeks on single charge
- handle ergonomically designed, easy to use
- smaller brush heads make it convenient, especially for users with small mouths
- a set of 5 replacement brush heads
- premium travel case that can also recharge
- no visual indicator for pressure sensor
- costs more than entry-level electric toothbrushes
3 Quick Questions To Decide
1. Are there any serious problems with the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush?
No, nothing that you’ll regret. Go ahead and buy it confidently.
You may not find some premium features in this model. But you’ll enjoy a range of exciting colors and a bunch of useful accessories.
2. Which other models are as good as the Sonicare 6500 ?
But the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 has the edge over it in several little ways. Of course the price is higher, but the value you’ll receive is definitely worth paying for.
3. Where can you buy the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush?
Like any Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review will reveal, you can order this online from Amazon.com and have it conveniently delivered right to your doorstep.
You’ll also save some money from coupon deals and special offers.
You’ll find the model stocked in retail outlets like Walmart, Walgreens or Target supermarkets.
Okay, now for more details, please go through this Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review in more depth.
How Does The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Compare?
But there are also some interesting differences that set this electric toothbrush apart.
At the end of this Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review you’ll have enough information to help you decide if this is right for you.
One of the major distinctions of the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is the travel case.
|Spare brush heads
The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 has a basic travel case with room for the brush handle and a couple of replacement brush heads.
On the other hand, the travel case in a Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is a premium design.
You can use it for USB recharging while the handle is stored inside the case. This is helpful while travelling since you don’t have to pack a recharging stand. You simply have to plug in the USB cable.
A micro-USB connector at one end of the cable is attached to the travel case on the other side. This fits into any USB socket like a laptop computer, power bank or even a regular power outlet with the appropriate adapter.
Replacement Brush Heads
One other difference in the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is that it comes with extra replacement brush heads in the pack.
With the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 you only get one DiamondClean brush head inside the box. The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush includes two of these heads.
In addition you may also get some more extra brush heads making up five in total. (See the detailed Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review for more details.)
In almost all other respects, the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is similar to the ProtectiveClean 6100.
But the slightly higher price tag is well worth paying because you’ll get additional brush heads and a premium travel case for the extra cost.
What’s In The Box?
When you purchase the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 you’ll get:
- a Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush handle
- 5 replacement brush heads
- a smart travel case
- recharging station
- documentation including warranty and user manual
Why Trust Our Recommendation?
A Dentist’s Daughter is an independent and unbiased source of information about various electric toothbrush brands and models. Our reviews are detailed and comprehensive, helping you make sense of the vast array of information available.
We are not dentists or dental professionals. No brand or manufacturer supports or sponsors us. None of the information on this site is professional advice. Whenever you are in doubt, please consult your dentist or dental hygienist for advice.
The electric toothbrush reviews on this website are intended to help consumers like you who are struggling to make sense of the vast quantity of information available about brands and models of toothbrushes.
Hopefully this review will help you with enough information about the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 to make a decision. But if it is not right for you, we will never try to nudge or push you towards buying it anyway. Our reviews are free of bias and seek to provide a fair, balanced representation of these dental care products.
Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : A Gum-Friendly Electric Toothbrush
The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush has a gentler brushing action which is ideal for users with gum infections (gingivitis) or sensitive teeth and periodontal disease.
Any Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review must also analyze comfort and user experience first.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Ease of Use
- The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is initially somewhat uncomfortable for new users due to its thickness. But users quickly adapt to it, and like it better than other models.
- Those with sensitive teeth were especially thrilled at how gentle the cleaning action was.
- The toothbrush is also less noisy than other models.
- The pressure sensor automatically shuts off when you apply too much pressure while brushing. This avoids accidental injury to gums and teeth.
- There is also less pain and discomfort, vital for people with gingivitis or prior dental surgery.
- Easy Start functionality eases a first-time user gently into the experience of using an electric toothbrush.
What Is EasyStart?
- For the first two weeks the brushing is slower and gentler.
- Gradually it increases over the next 14 days until it reaches full power.
- The reason is that many new users find the 31,000 brushstrokes per minute action scary or uncomfortable in the beginning.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Design & Appearance
- The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrush has a sturdy and sleek design.
- It is thicker than other models and you can grip it firmly in your palm while brushing.
- The brush head is angled gently as with the ProtectiveClean 5100 to reach behind the last molars.
- The clustering of buttons and LEDs close together has been a concern in some Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 reviews.
- A power button turns the device on and off. Pressing it repeatedly cycles between different intensities.
- Three LEDs indicate the brushing intensity settings.
- Another set of vertically aligned LEDs shows you the cleaning modes.
- On the whole, there are three modes – Clean, White and Gum Care.
You can choose from 5 different color options:
- White Silver
- Pastel Pink
- Navy Blue
- Deep Purple
A battery charge indicator LED is located near the bottom of the shaft.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Performance
The Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 operates in 3 distinct cleaning modes. These have advantages for specific purposes.
The intensity of brushing action can be adjusted manually. You have a choice between low, medium and high settings.
- Clean mode – 2 minute cycle for regular brushing
- White mode – 2 and half minute cycle to polish front teeth
- Gum Care mode – 3 minute session with a minute to massage gums
Most dentists recommend brushing for two minutes, equally distributed among the 4 quadrants.
The other modes offer extra time for whitening or gum massage.
The electric toothbrush turns off automatically at the end of a cycle. This helps preserve battery charge for longer.
A quad pacer and timer indicate when it is time to shift to a different quadrant. In any case, this ensures uniform and complete cleaning.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Effectiveness
The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is excellent at removing dental plaque. Many different tests confirm this fact.
BrushSync technology makes sure that you’ll receive an alert when it’s time to replace worn out brush heads. Whenever the head and bristles are frayed or bent, BrushSync senses this damage. It alerts you to replace the old head.
Typically this has to be done once in 3 months. But it also depends on how often you use the toothbrush.
Among other things BrushSync is one of the big pulls of the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500. Many users are willing to pay the slightly higher price to enjoy these advantages.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Battery Life
The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 has an excellent battery life just like any other Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush model.
The Sonicare 6500 runs on a Lithium ion battery and delivers upto three weeks of regular use on a single charge.
For frequent travellers, the 3 week battery life means that they will not have to take along a recharger.
With the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500, even if you need to recharge on the road you can use the travel case. It has a built-in USB charger that can replenish your toothbrush while it is stored away.
Where To Buy The Sonicare 6500 Electric Toothbrush?
A Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 review wouldn’t be complete without telling you how and where to get great deals. Or enjoy a price discount on the product.
You could buy this electric toothbrush offline in any retail outlet like Target, Walgreens or Walmart.
If you’re lucky or select to shop during special offers around Christmas or holidays, you might even save cash on seasonal discounts and deals.
But that’s even more likely to happen when you purchase online at e-commerce portals like Amazon.com.
These websites usually have special offers and coupon deals running almost all round the year. Just be watchful for announcements about these offers. Many are of limited duration, so if you hesitate too long you’ll miss out.
An added convenience is that you can have the product home delivered.
It will be shipped conveniently to your doorstep. And you won’t run the risk of driving to the store only to find out that the model you want is out of stock!
So look at the offers on Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 electric toothbrushes at Amazon.com
Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Our Verdict
Now that you’ve heard a lot about the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500, it’s time to decide if you should buy it or not.
As you’ve seen earlier, there are several pros as well as a few cons to selecting this model. It is almost identical to the popular Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 electric toothbrush.
The big difference lies in the smart travel case. It allows you to recharge the device on the road.
There are also a few extra replacement brush heads included along with the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500.
This electric toothbrush is a comfortable, elegant and effective device to improve dental hygiene. Also it has many interesting features.
However it may not have all the bells and whistles you might find in a premium model like the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean.
If you’re looking for a middle range electric toothbrush with good features, great cleaning performance and an affordable price tag, then the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 is an excellent choice.
In case you’re still not sure, take a look at this Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6100 review.
Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 Review : Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 a rotatory toothbrush?
A: No, it is a sonic toothbrush.
Q: How many cleaning modes are available?
A: There are 3 modes – Gum Care, Clean and White – each of which can operate at 3 intensity settings.
Q: How many brush heads are included in the package?
A: You get two W2 Optimal White brush heads as well as another 3 heads of various combination in the package. Other brush heads are also compatible with this handle.
Q: Is there a pressure sensor?
A: Yes, the Sonicare ProtectiveClean 6500 has a pressure sensor to protect your teeth and gums. But there is no visible indicator when you press too hard.
Q: Is there Bluetooth connectivity or a Smartphone app?
A: No, there is no Bluetooth functionality or companion app.
Q: How long is the warranty?
A: Yes, the regular Philips Sonicare warranty covers your purchase for 2 years
See our ULTIMATE Electric Toothbrush Buyer's Guide - and make an informed and smart choice.